.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

10.13.2005

Emily does Emory

I am writing from the exotic locale of Atlanta, GA. I am 7 weeks in to my masters program at Emory, and finally beginning to feel at ease. When I first got here I felt pretty off-kilter--three weeks at home wasn't enough and all of the students I met were well-researched and ready to get started. People were asking me what my first semester electives would be, where I would be working, which version of Epidemiology I would be taking. My roommate asked me what I liked to eat and what I did for exercise and I couldn't even answer her. It was pretty overwhelming to be adjusting to life in America, life in Atlanta, and life in the university all at once.

But I did adjust and now I'm really enjoying being here. Three of my classes are disappointing introductory courses in things I mostly already knew. The fourth is pretty interesting and the fifth, "AIDS: Public Health Implications", literally gave me goosebumps at the first session. I am so thrilled to be surrounded by students with diverse international experiences and a passion for health issues, not to mention the professors and lecturers who are all giants in their fields of public health interest. I am living with another first year student and we have a great place--half of a duplex with a big lawn and a backyard patio. My bedroom is a little odd, with floor to ceiling wood-paneling, but the kitchen is great. It's a forty minute walk or a short bus ride to campus. In fact, my greatest challenge so far has been dealing with Atlanta, The Urban Planning Horror Show, without a car. That, and finding a job, but I remain hopeful.

So that's the update, and here is the shameless plug. Being in a new city, I have wanted to find a way to make a difference for people who are living with HIV/AIDS here. There are 27,000 HIV positive people in Georgia, making it the eighth most affected state in the country. The best opportunity to make a difference that I have found is to participate in the Atlanta AIDS Walk this Sunday, funds from which go to support AIDS service organizations in Atlanta. If you would like to learn more or support me in this effort, you can make a donation online by clicking below. You can give anonymously or hide the amount you've donated; as always, whatever you can give will help! I greatly appreciate your support and will keep everyone posted on my progress. Click here to donate!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?