.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

5.14.2006

Not just me

It's a pretty exciting time to be interested in public health issues and international development. At the school of public health, we roll our eyes about the job market, what with the rapidly expanding enrollment in MPH programs, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm a part of something new. Of course there are my fellow classmates, who are currently in the process of dispersing to do their summer research in Mongolia, Peru, Senegal, Botswana, Indonesia, Montana. But it seems like I am also constantly being connected with people my age (mostly women, but that's another blog entry) who are in Africa, or in the public health world, or doing peace corps, or looking at public health education opportunities. My debate coach from college is doing it, my friend who directed a play I was in in high school, the daughter of my mother's colleague, the new youth leader at my old church. I used to think I was an anomaly for wanting to build a career around serving people in Africa. Now I see that I am part of a community of creative, enthusiastic, and determined people, and it is a very exciting group to be joining.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?