.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

7.06.2006

My Blood

I'm always getting disqualified for donating blood in the US for silly reasons; for being anemic, for having a cold. I've been summarily dismissed the last few years for having spent too much time in Africa, which apparently puts me into some kind of relatively high risk group for HIV.

Here in Western Kenya, I am in a relatively low risk group, but when I tried to donate today on my lunch break (at the state of the art transfusion center that shares our compound), I was rejected again. This time it was my malaria prophylaxis, but the lady was nice about it: "Come back and donate sometime when you are not on drugs."

Comments:
The first time I tried to give blood as a student at University of Wisconsin in 1968 I was rejected because of the malarial preventatives we had taken on choir tour.

There will be a time when you can give blood. For now you are giving your life to public service.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?