.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

6.23.2007

More firing

First, a caveat; overall our staff are wonderful. They are the heart and soul of the organization , and I adore working with them. It's just some hires...

Today I had to fire a driver. It was difficult one, because he was the first person I ever directly hired, and two because he wept and begged and pleaded for forgiveness the entire time. I had plenty of reasons to fire him—routinely late, complaints of dangerous driving, allegations that he showed up drunk one day, and paper proof that he was stealing gas money. We gave him a last warning. It was all perfectly reasonable and justified and entirely his fault. And originally I was furious at him for everything. But I still felt sorry when he realized he had ruined his opportunity and fell to pieces in front of me. I spoke soothingly, and held myself together until he left. Justified or not, I couldn’t relish it. Not at all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free Counters
Hit Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?